Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wammie-Winner Wednesdays

When I downshifted to a 3-day work week, after my second child turned 1, a friend asked me if I really chose Wednesday as a day off JUST so I could still go to Jammin' Java in Vienna to see this trio of modern-day School House Rockers.  Yes. Yes I did.  Especially with a newborn, the access to coffee, a chair, and something adults and kids find funny is very precious.  Lyrics to songs include "I wish we had the metric system, but we don't so we'll have to use the other one," "Gotta get up, get outta my jams, I'm gonna yawn and stretch and flex my little gams", and "Chow dogs have pink tongues and that's a fact."  
If you visit most Wednesday mornings, you pay for children over 1 for a $5 cover charge, but feel cooler than you would at Chuck E. Cheese, because you just brought your baby to a club.  The adult with the child, or children, is free.  Kids rule the dance floor and anxious parents sit "criss, cross, applesauce" nearby, or in chairs lined up for the performance.  
If Grandma is paying, shirts, CDs, and "shaky eggs" are sold, but resourceful nannies have recycled Easter toys for this purpose.  
There also many opportunities to attend a Family Happy Hour, which costs a bit more, but you get a free juice box with every grown up drink.  I had birthday party (#37) during one, since cover charge for all of us was cheaper than a night of babysitting.  Donations went to pediatric cancer research.
http://www.rocknoceros.com/shows

No comments: